Inquirer News

DOH records increase in fireworks related injuries

DOH counts on heavy rain in Calabarzon to deter firecracker use

Firecracker-related injuries have risen to 90 as of Wednesday morning, Dec. 28, 2016, according to Dr. Eric Tayag of the Department of Health. While high, the number is lower by 39 percent from the same period last year, Tayag said. INQUIRER FILE

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) has recorded an increase in the number of fireworks-related injuries nationwide just days before New Year’s eve.

In its fireworks-related injuries (FWRI) report, the DOH said that from December 21 up until 5:59 a.m. on Friday, 40 injuries have already been recorded. This is an increase of eight fireworks-related injuries from its previous report released on Thursday.

“This is 38 cases (49%) lower compared to the same reporting period of 2017 and 115 cases (74%) lower to 5-year average,” said the DOH.

Almost half of the overall number of injuries were caused by illegal fireworks, the DOH noted.

The report also showed that majority or about 90 percent of those who suffered injuries from fireworks are male.

It also mentioned that those who sustained injuries were between the ages of 2 and 69.

According to the report, the injuries were sustained from the use of “boga” or PVC cannon (11), “kwitis” or rocket (5), triangle firecracker (3), piccolo (3), baby rocket (2), and “luces” or sparklers (2).

The DOH’s fireworks related injuries (FWRI) surveillance will continue up to Jan. 5, 2019. There are a total of 50 hospitals or the so-called sentinel sites that are being monitored by the DOH for FWRI.  /muf

Exit mobile version